Wednesday 6 January 2016

ASS4 - Tutor Feedback

 
     For this assignment I consider that my feedback was the best to date.I still have a great deal of room for improvement, but I feel I have put in a great deal of effort in to it and Derek can see this throughout my attempt at Assignment 4.

   He says when I am not trying my work is a lot better, then when I am trying which is when my work seems to end up too complicated. I do not think this is a bad comment, it has actually driven me to not put so much pressure on my self and enjoy just casually looking at landscapes instead of trying so hard to complicate them. I wanted to show experimentation which I did show and maybe my work shows too much of this and I just need to be more subtle when I am painting with my new found techniques I am learning along the way.

  My tutor has agreed for me to attempt for assessment, which is a great thing. I know I am not the best painter in the world but my heart there and I feel so far I have listened and gave it my best shot. I will still have flaws or a bad moment where things do not work but it is for me to learn from them and to be able to reach a certain standard to be able to say I can paint well and be happy with my work.

  Derek said my blog shows to him that I am unsure of what is succeeding and what is not succeeding and I need to look at this more as artist to help decide what I stick to and what I don't in my work.

  My tutor decided to got through some of my paintings and help me understand more in regards to developing further.

  He really enjoyed my painting through my art window, which was my first painting for the assignment. He said its subtle with the colours and I have observed the area very well. He says I have used impasto in this art and over all it is a good painting. Now looking at it, I can understand that its more of a natural painting, realistic view then some of my other paintings I did for this assignment. I will look at this and develop more.

  For my hard landscape, I tried to test out using complementary colours together to brighten up my paintings, even though the colours worked well. It was a unrealistic painting and my tutor noted on that. He did like my bush that I painted on the right-hand side but it looked more of a cartoon style from my first painting I did. I did realise that my houses didn't seen as correct to what I was looking at, but the bush area took up a lot of time. to me this painting looks half good and half rushed. I need to give my self more time to keep up a technical level of painting.

  My barn in a field painting was also admired by my tutor, he said it is similar to my looking out of my art room painting and again the tone, colours and impasto work really Well together. I am going to keep these two paintings on my art desk, so I can refer to them for my next assignment to help me decide on what I would like to paint. I do really like the impasto effect I have created, it looks great and adds texture and the feel of the artist to the viewer at work.

  My tutor also likes my painting of my living room and mentioned that is was painted well and shows that I did a lot of thinking in to this painting. I do really like this one and I enjoyed painting it too.

  For my final I did have a bit of negative feedback, but I do think my tutor has made a few good points with this one and if I'm going to be honest then, I must say whilst doing this painting I came to realise, that I could of spent or needed to spend longer on it for it to be a good painting with texture and detail. My tutor remarks on that this paining shows lack of my skill, then some of my paintings I did towards the assignment. He mentioned it was due to the size of my canvas and I would have needed a long time to do this painting as detailed as my view from window and others that he mentions. There is less detailed areas there and this is because of me not being fully prepared for a painting of this size, as well as not enough time given to myself to do it in. My tutor is looking for texture and personality in my work and looking at this painting makes me realise where he is coming from.

  My tutor was very happy with my Blog, which I am glad about as I have tried to input all my thoughts and processes into it.


Research ideas from Tutor


  My tutor has pushed me to look at Manet, to see the way he simplifies tones and colours to produce interesting effects. Also to look at paintings that of of Paul Nash. He has told me not to look at naive paintings, as they can lead me astray from my style.



Edouard Manet


Banks of the Seine at Argenteuil
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/artists/douard-manet/paintings/slideshow#/15

Racecourse In The Bois De Boulogne
http://www.manetedouard.org/Racecourse-In-The-Bois-De-Boulogne-large.html

Seascape at Arcachon
http://www.manetedouard.org/Seascape-at-Arcachon-large.html

The Grand Canal, Venice I
http://www.manetedouard.org/The-Grand-Canal,-Venice-I-large.html

Luncheon on the Grass
http://www.manetedouard.org/Luncheon-on-the-Grass-large.html

The House at Rueil 1882
http://www.manetedouard.org/The-House-at-Rueil-1882-large.html

Gare Saint-Lazare
http://www.manetedouard.org/Gare-Saint-Lazare-large.html

Moonlight Over The Port Of Boulogne
http://www.manetedouard.org/Moonlight-Over-The-Port-Of-Boulogne-large.html

The Grand Canal Venice
http://www.manetedouard.org/The-Grand-Canal---Venice-large.html

A Path in the Garden at Rueil
http://www.manetedouard.org/A-Path-in-the-Garden-at-Rueil-large.html

The Universal Exhibition
http://www.manetedouard.org/The-Universal-Exhibition-large.html

A corner in the garden of Bellevue
http://www.manetedouard.org/A-corner-in-the-garden-of-Bellevue-large.html


     Having looked at Manets work, I can see he used textures and subtle colours to create his art. The rough textures of the paint make the paintings flow with movement and then taking a step back to see the overall painting as a whole. I can see similarities to how he has painted landscapes to how I paint them such as the foliage, trees, bushes. His colours are earthy yet delicate, which create harmonious looking landscapes. 

    I really like the Gare Saint-Lazare painting, due to the types of colours he has used. I think the landscape in the background is painted well and would be something that I would want to paint. The Grand Canal Venice painting is also again attractive to me because of the colours. The way he paints, creates good texture using small brush strokes but making them visible so viewers can see and get a sense of the artist at work. I think Manet is a good artist for me to look at, to see his way of painting that create textures and think about how to explore this further for myself.

Paul Nash 

Landscape at Iden 1929
http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-liverpool/exhibition/paul-nash/paul-nash-modern-artist-ancient-landscape-room-guide-2

Megaliths 1935
http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-liverpool/exhibition/paul-nash/paul-nash-modern-artist-ancient-landscape-room-guide-4

landscape 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/artists/paul-nash/paintings/slideshow#/2

Landscape of the Malvern Distance
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/artists/paul-nash/paintings/slideshow#/14

The Pond at Souldern
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/the-pond-at-souldern-19453

Oxford During the War
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/oxford-during-the-war-224145



   Paul Nash paintings are really appealing to me, mainly because of the colours he uses. I like the subtle colours and how he has painted with them, to create delicate yet meaningful art. I really admire his work called Oxford During the War. I consider the colours to work really well here, with the pink sky breaking through from a cloudy sky. In the for ground there is a tank which indicates war. Underneath the pink Sky, there is a town, which looks as though it has not been hit by war yet. The trees he has painted are so graceful on the side and its a great composition. The trees are directing you to the background to make you look at the town, which is the focal point. The tank is also a main feature which is stamping a scene of war in to the painting. To me half of the painting is war and the other is peace.

Overall his paintings are very simple painted compared to Manet, who inputs a lot of texture in to his paintings. Nash's work is similar on how I want to paint, but I also want that added texture from Manet's work.

Overall

   I think my tutor has helped show me my good and bad areas of my work and I will continue to look and discuss this in Assignment 5 to help me not to fall back in to my traps again of not enough detail and other issues I have had. I need to be able to look at my own work and have to confidence to say when some techniques do not work and point out more of my trials and errors.

   Now looking ahead I have gone through Assignment 5 and I an really enthusiastic to begin. I want to experiment with impasto now I know that in some of my work I use this technique and improve it. I want to also explore mixing media and getting messy enjoying the last chapter of painting 1. I want to do really well to show the assessor how much I have improved since the start with painting and also to show my tutor that he has guided me well through out this course.

The main things I want to carry over to assignment 5 from assignment 4 are techniques such as impasto, the colours I have used in my subtle paintings and the tones(delicate colours not brights). I want to now push this in to improving my personal voice and to develop myself more as an artist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment