Tuesday 12 August 2014

ASS1 Project 1 - Basic Paint Application


Exercise - Getting to know your Brushes

This was a fun task to practice and notice what brushes do and what wonderful marks I can create with paint.

Playing about with different brushes helped me to see different marks you can create such as Lines squiggles Splodges, dots. I also found different ways to use the brushes by sweeping lightly across the paper or pushing the paint brush quite hard and rough, this made more affects which I think will become useful for self expressing later on. 

Firstly, I did an A3 sheet testing out marks in acrylic. I then painted a quick landscape - my first painting yay! It turned out ok just a little tester. I realized how quick the paint dries so it makes it hard to blend the paints. You have to work quickly to get what you want done right.

To help me build confidence and to make me feel that I am doing the right thing, I watched a few you tube videos on how to start and common mistakes beginners make when starting to paint e.g. too much medium on the brushes. this really helped me feel better in what I was doing.

I then had a go at oil paints, it took me a while to understand what does what, such as white spirit and linseed oil but I managed it eventually. I painted a bunch of bananas which I was really happy with as a first oil painting. The paint dries slower so it helped me to get it right and merge colors together better for tone of the fruit. I really like the oil paints they flow nice, the after glaze texture when use oil is lovely and its a really good medium to practice with, it gives you more time to play about with its structure on the paper. The only down fall I guess is the waiting time it takes to dry, but its worth it for a great out come.





















Exercise - Applying Paint without Brushes

In this exercise I tested a lot of different tools to apply paint with to create different effects.

This was really fun to experiment with and an eye opener to show you can use a lot of other objects to create different marks with paint. I used wood, toothbrush, cotton buds, sponges, old bank card, pallet knife, my finger, carrier bag, cloth and newspaper, I also tried flicking paint on to the paper using a paint brush for a unique stippling effect. 

I enjoyed testing out the toothbrush - which gave a great scratchy effect. I also felt using my own finger was quite fun getting stuck in there in stead of using tools to apply paint on paper. The palette knifes were good too, as you can build up textures of the paint using this tool. It is very interesting.


 I cant wait to get painting properly :-)








Exercise - Painting with Pastels

With this exercise I had a go at doing an Oil pastel painting.

I had previously used oil pastels in the drawing 1 course and I never knew you could turn them in to a paint effect, which was exciting to me as I enjoy expressing my self with this medium. 

I experimented first, to see what different marks I could create. Then painted a quick flower, just to practice. The bright colours of the oil pastels were still alive and the texture was really good to work with .

Mixing with turps helped to spread the vibrant colours across the paper. I will be defiantly practicing with these more in the future using this technique to see what I can create.



No comments:

Post a Comment