Saturday 15 August 2015

ASS4 - Project 2 Perspective



Research meanings of linear and Aerial perspectives.



Linear

http://elements-of-design.weebly.com/space.html


L.S. Lowry'sStreet Scene
http://www.artistdaily.com/blogs/artistdaily/archive/2014/01/27/perspective-basics-create-convincing-space-in-your-drawing.aspx

      All linear perspective types include a horizon line and the position of the viewer. In one-point perspective, only one vanishing point exists; lines radiate outwardly from this point, and perpendicular lines meet at this point. Also you can have more then a one point of perspective, such as a 2 or 3 point perspective, which would create more then one vanishing point.


       Here is a basic layout that illustrates how lines recede in one point perspective.

           
Horizon line always falls at eye level regardless of where you're looking. For instance, if you are looking down, your eye level remains at the height of your eyes, not down where you are looking.

Vanishing Point-is the point to which all lines which are parallel to the viewer recede. In one point perspective all verticals and horizontals stay the same and only lines that are moving away from or toward the viewer seem to recede on the horizon at the vanishing point.

All planes must be perpendicular or parallel to you in order for 1 point perspective to work correctly. If you are looking at the corner of an object that is not at a 90 degree angle to you this will create issues.



Aerial perspective

http://www.unfinishedquilter.com/blog/aerial-perspective

http://painting.about.com/od/artglossarya/g/defaerialpersp.htm


           Aerial perspective (Also know as atmospheric perspective), is the term used for how atmospheric conditions, the air, influence our perception of objects in the distance. As objects get further away from us, they appear lighter in tone, less detailed, and bluer or cooler in colour.

Aerial perspective is something that's easier to understand visually than in words, which is why I have found some photos for reference above. I can immediately see how the Mountains appear lighter the further they get and coastal hills appear lighter in tone as they march down the coast.

When looking out at a landscape the air does affect the colour, this is due to dust, moisture and other small materials. This causes a scattering of light as it passes through them. Because light of short wavelength—blue light—is scattered most, the colours of all distant dark objects tend toward blue such as the mountains in the first picture above.

http://www.britannica.com/art/aerial-perspective

Also the atmosphere causes distant forms to have less distinct edges and outlines than forms near the viewer. Distant objects appear lighter than objects of similar tone in the foreground. In general contrasts between light and shade appear less extreme at great distance creating less detail in the background.


Exercise Linear Perspective

Ideas



   I am going to use my pastels in my sketch book to draw my scene. On my way home from work every day I drive through a woodland area. The trees reach over the road and create a nature tunnel. Its is a very enjoyable road to drive through and you sometimes see the odd deer. I have finished work and I have parked up on the side on the road to capture this area. As its summer the trees leaves are green and the meadow area at the base of the trees is filled with daisy's and other small flowers. There are also bushes beyond my view and the sky is cloudy and coming through the gaps between the trees. I think this is a great example of linear perspective and the road is at a slight curve and you can see it goes into the distance. At the farthest point I notice that there is the end to the tree tunnel, with a semi circle of light from the sky. 

Sketches

     Now I have observed the area, I am going to quickly sketch it with pastels. I have decided this time, to use oranges and browns. This area is beautiful in the Autumn time and I want to try and show this with the colours of Autumn which are rich oranges and reds and deep purples. Its a risk again to change the colours but I want to create that mood and atmosphere within my painting whilst showing the understanding of linear perspective.

I am back home now and have my finished sketch in front of me. Its quite basic as I had to capture it quickly on the side of the road. I also took a photo before I left. I am really happy with this scene and I think the use of colours I have got create a scene of autumn too.  I am going to start with a basic layer and build my painting up, like I did enjoy doing with my bush in the previous painting. I want to create depth in the detail and a good use of light coming through the trees.
Painting

      I have just finished the base layer. It currently looks like a really dull paining but this is due to me paintings all my dark areas of my view first. I will layer these up a bit once dry with some detail and then I shall add the trees in.


     Its been 2 days and now its dry enough for me to paint the next layer:






    As you can see on my photos above I have started to add textures to my area such as the bushes and the meadow area. I have also begun to input some of the trees. I will have to wait again for it to dry to add the next layer. 




   I have now added a lot of the detail in and I have just got to finish the right side of the painting and leave it to dry again, to add the last few highlights. In this painting I have used my new found technique again to build up the layers, from a dark base colour. The meadow ground is coming on well and you get a great sense of depth to it. I really like this technique and I really enjoy the last part of it when I am putting the highlights on these areas. It gives it that special boost to make my painting stand out more.  


     The trees I have done were really fun to do. I painted a black basic shape and now I have in putted brown and white to create a rough bark texture, I did this using a brush and a palette knife, to get some grizzly detail to make them more realistic. I could see where the light was hitting the trees so I have creates the sense of light on the right side of each tree. I think they are so far looking really well.






      My painting is now finished. I think I did a great job in showing that I understand Linear Perspective. As for my personal technique I feel that is went well, I managed to capture the scene in a way that I admire it and how I look at that area. It shows peacefulness and beauty of the woodland area that I drive through every day. I do like the colours I have used but compared to the last painting, the hard landscape I feel the colours could of been brighter. I think  this is due to using similar colours through out this piece of work. Which I had to, to create the Autumn scene I wanted. I guess there are bright oranges and red which do stand out. 


                                                                Overall

       Overall I am happy with this painting and it was a good chance to test my new layering technique, which I am having fun with. I tried to create shadows on the road in the middle from the trees, but I think I may need to practise this a bit more. I really like the highlights, where I have shown the light hitting the plants and trees. It gives it that glistening look to it, with the sun coming through the trees. 



Exercise Aerial Perspective


Ideas

For this Exercise I am showing that I understand Aerial Perspective.  Lucky enough I went to the Lake district last weekend and managed to find a scene I liked. I took a photo and also quickly sketched it in oil pastel. There are some pretty amazing views there and I found a great stop which showed a typical Ariel perspective. 

 Sketches

    
       I have done this sketch which I am looking forward to painting. I really like the black Silhouette in the foreground of the trees. I am going to use blue colours for the underground layer and build up with some greens. I am hoping to create the atmosphere effect in my painting, with the blue base layers to create atmosphere in my landscape view. I am now going to begin painting. I may even try to add some orange on the trees silhouette to compliment the blues to make my painting stand out more.


Painting 



       I have done the first layer of my painting it is very basic as they are only my under colours and will add detail on top of here. For the furthest mountain I have used my finger to smudge in with the sky to create a sense of depth in my view. I am going to wait for this to dry and then begin my second layer. 


      Day 2 on painting and I have managed to finish it with one more go at it:





      I have added detail to the mountains with greens and yellows. They look like they have got good texture and colour to them. I really like my tree silhouette in front on the hills. They seem as though they are really there close to you. It creates a good sense of depth to my view which I was looking at and works well. I think my painting is a good example of an aerial view by showing that the further away you are, the less detail and more blueness is created which gives you a sense of the atmosphere in the distance.

Overall

     Overall I feel I showed my understanding well and I created a scene true to Aerial Perspective. If I am to be picky at my art work, I feel I could of spent some more time adding in more detail to my silhouette of trees, maybe by adding some dark green or orange to add some detail. 

     I really enjoyed Linear and Aerial perspective it is great to help with creating different scenes in your art work. I am not to sure which view I like most, both have there good points in each to capture different scenes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment